castle of salgó
 
 

Long long ago in Nógrád county (Hungary) among the hills of Medves on a 625 m high volcanic rock a small stronghold was built. In the beginning it was only a square-shaped stone tower. People called it Salgó witch means shine. However it’s still not clear, that the name Salgó was the name of the volcanic peak, or they started to call the place like this name only after when the tower has been erected.

This fortified tower was built by the Kacsics clan, who were the lords around this hills, in the 13th century. According to some certain consideration the building of this tower was related to the Mongol invasion (1241-1242), because all over Hungary only the fortified towns or castles could resist the Tartar’s army. The sieges of fortresses were not the Tatar’s cup of tea. After the invasion the king, IV. Béla ordered and supported the fortifications of manor houses and towns or to build new strongholds as well. Salgó started as a small a tower (7,5 x 9,5 m) and a small castle-yard.

It is supposed that the cellar of the tower was used as a prison. The water-supply was a difficult one on this volcanic rock, therefore in the lower level of the peak, under the tower, they constructed a water-collecting cistern. This rock-castle had two cisterns, a huge and a smaller one. The water was essential, not only for drink but for fight the fire to. In 1460 the Hussites captured the small fortress of Salgó. King Mathias the First recaptured it in the same year and gave it to Imre Szapolyai. This time was the great age of Salgó.

The lower castle-yard was built in that time and the upper castle-yard became roofed-over. This part of the yard became a living space. The lord of the castle didn’t live in Salgó but his substitute, the castellan lived in this upper yard living building. In the lower castle-yard there were the stables and the storehouses. In  the 16th century a huge pentagonal battlement ( 14 x 15 m) was built in the east side of the rock. Although even this reinforced building could not resist the Turkish (Ottoman) attack.

Legends were told, that  Kara Hamza bey, the governor of Szécsény and Hatvan, took the castle by ruse. He made his soldiers to lay tree trunks on to gun carriages and push them under the fortress. The soldiers in the tower thought that the trunks were real guns because they couldn't see well in the fog. They handed over Salgó. In the reality the fortress was shelled into ruins by the turks. They set the artillery on the top of the neighboring hill, opposite to Salgó called Kis-Salgó (Small-Salgó) or Boszorkánykő (The cliff of witches).

The father of Bálint Balassi, the great Hungarian poet, got the fortress (however the Turkish was in it). After his death his sons Bálint and Ferenc Kövér couldn’t decide who’s the owner. It was an acrimonious lawsuit of long standing between them.  In 1593 Michael Pálffy and Christof Tieffenbach reoccupied Salgó. Bálint Balassi died in 1594 in the siege of Esztergom. The nephew of Bálint herited the ruins of Salgó but he let it alone. The ruins was overgrown with grass and shrubs. When Sándor Petőfi an other great and famous poet of Hungary climbed up to the ruins of Salgó in 1845 the atmosphere of the ruins made him write his romantic poetry: Salgó. This is a tragic story about Kompolti clan the lords of Salgó who tyrannized the region, which were under their power. The story is based on a traditional legend.

Nowdays Salgó is a well-known, beauty tourist spot. It’s near to Salgótarján, 120 km far from Budapest.




 
castle of Salgó
Locality:
Salgótarján (Salgóbánya), Hungary, Central Europe

gps coordinates:
Salgó: X = 311 545, Y = 709 515
Boszorkánykő: X = 311 045, Y = 709 683

Let’s see...

Useful links:

The Hungarian Bus company:
 http://www.volanbusz.hu/en/

The Hungarian Train Company:
 http://www.mav.hu/english/index.php

Tracking map of Salgó: 
http://stg.sarvar.hu/media/file/articles/78/terkep7.jpg

Guesthouse and hotel: 
Guesthouse Zöld Kapu

Hotel Medves

Hotel Salgó








http://www.volanbusz.hu/en/http://www.mav.hu/english/index.phphttp://www.mav.hu/english/index.phphttp://stg.sarvar.hu/media/file/articles/78/terkep7.jpghttp://stg.sarvar.hu/media/file/articles/78/terkep7.jpghttp://www.guesthousehungary.comhttp://www.agoda.com/fr-fr/medves-hangulatszallo-hotel/hotel/salgotarjan-hu.html?cid=1622910&type=4&tag=cb62708a-1148-44a3-b735-da971dd0ed08&device=c&network=g&adid=35974175747&rand=16478149624942789485&adpos=1t1&urltogo=/fr-fr/medves-hangulatszallo-hotel/hotel/salgotarjan-hu.html&cklg=1http://www.salgohotel.hu/shapeimage_7_link_0shapeimage_7_link_1shapeimage_7_link_2shapeimage_7_link_3shapeimage_7_link_4shapeimage_7_link_5shapeimage_7_link_6shapeimage_7_link_7

IMPRESSUM


Designed by Pro Memoria (Unlimited Partnership)

www.promemoria.hu


Editors:

Réka Várkonyi-Nickel: rekanickel (a) gmail.com

and

Gábor Várkonyi: gaborvarkonyi (a) hotmail.com